[openbeos] Re: Bootable Test CD

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:07:46 -0300

Donovan Schulteis escreveu:

I can compile Haiku into an image file from within Ubuntu, transfer
that image with dd to a partition, but cannot boot the SATA drive with
any form of BeOS/Zeta/Haiku to make it bootable to see if Haiku is
even compatible with my hardware outside of a VM.  Would be nice to
have an easy way for those to try it on a partition that resides on a
SATA drive.  And because VMs mount other partitions as SCSI, I haven't
been able to use a VM to make a partition bootable.  (if anyone has
any tips on this, I can't find them on the Haiku site)

You don´t need to run makebootable. When you compile straight to a partition the build system does the quivalent of running makebootable automatically for you. If you are unable to boot is probably because your SATA controller is not supported. You could try enabling the ATA driver being developed by Marcus and see it it works.

Also, some people reported problem with booting Haiku is specific partition configurations.

As I side note, I run Haiku on a SATA driver attached to a SATA controller running in HCI mode.

-Bruno