[openbeos] Re: Bootable Test CD

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:38:16 +0100

Hi Karl,

Karl vom Dorff wrote:
> I'd like to perhaps create and maintain a 'hardware test CD' and remove
> reference to Haiku as outlined in the distro guidelines. Could someone
> please write a tutorial on how to remove/replace the leaf on the Haiku
> deskbar, as well as adjust the 'About Haiku' application. After removing
> and changing these, adding the disclaimers and licenses and removing
> reference to Haiku, would this be suitable, and would developers be ok
> with this?

Don't bother with the Deskbar leave/feather. Just remove the Tracker
background logo from etc/artwork. Best would be to replace this with your
own Haikuware specific artwork.

It has recently become much easier to provide your own boot splash logo,
but it is still not fully integrated with the build process. I guess you
can keep that until we made it easy to replace it. If you want to try, you
can use the generate_boot_screen tool from generated/objects/[your host
platform]/x86/release/tools/ (command line). You could use the icon image
from data/artwork/boot_splash/ but a different logo. The tool will generate
a new "images.h" header that you have to place into
headers/private/kernel/boot/ (and rebuild).

I don't know what you should call the download entry in Haikuware, but
something with "Unofficial" and "Hardware Test CD" sounds good (at least to
me).

Keep in mind that the usefulness of the "hardware test cd" is highly
doubtful, since Haiku does not support CD drives in some configurations. I
am not sure if the SATA AHCI driver supports it fully (Marcus?). In this
case, Haiku might be able to run from HD just fine, but not from CD. Which
makes the whole thing pretty pointless.

Best regards,
-Stephan