[openbeos] Re: Bootable Test CD

  • From: "Jonathon Freeman" <j_freeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:41:52 -0500

(I apologize for the previous blank message--not sure what happened.)

Obviously I can't speak for the developers (and wouldn't want to), but I
think it's a Good Idea(tm) as long as it clearly alerts you upon startup
that it's unfinished, alpha-quality software.

The pros should be weighed against the cons. On the con side, it might give
a negative first impression to first time users. On the pro side, it would
allow users to test a much wider range of hardware. Personally, I know that
I haven't had a chance to test 3 of my machines because I have no way to get
Haiku on them, and even my own attempts to get a bootable CD working have
failed.

Surely I'm not alone; surely there are dozens of other machines out there
that are begging to be tested under Haiku but for whatever reason haven't
gotten the chance. I wonder how many critical issues might be uncovered if
Haiku could be tested on them.

Regards,

Jonathon