[openbeos] Re: Bootable Test CD

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:26:12 -0700

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 08:16 -0700, scott mc wrote:
> Karl,
> Maybe include the r##### in the title so people will be more likely to
> mark that one their CDs.  I can get Haiku running on hardware, but
> what I'd like to see is a superpack version that is also in the same
> format at the haiku.image hard drive images generated by the Haiku
> build factory.
>
> As for posting a "Hardware Test CD", I'd keep it offline until it
> reaches a point where it's working on a higher percentage of PCs.  I
> think as it is right now it was working on less than 1 in 5 or
> something like that?
> So give it a month or two and see where things stand.  Seems there's
> been much coding in the area recently, so should be better soon.
>
> François,
> Cool CD print image.  If Haiku Alpha R1 isn't released before Linux
> World (August 2008), then maybe we'll print those up on paper and hand
> those out ;)  They have a url printed on them so people could then
> actually go and get their own when it is released.

I don't know how to say this diplomatically, but that CD design looks
really bad (besides the fact that it is inaccurate). :)

But more importantly, we really don't want to create or even encourage a
situation where everybody feels they can create and distribute their own
versions of (sub-par quality) Haiku artwork without any oversight. If we
allow that to happen, then our brand quality will go down the drain, and
so will the consistency of our message.

There are people in the community with skills to produce this sort of
stuff. If you have any specific and legitimate needs for Haiku artwork
(for, say, a flyer to hand out at a conference), then send an email to
this list, and let us know what that is, and we'll see what can be done.

If, on the other hand, you have the skills to produce good quality
artwork and would like to help out, then let us know, and I am sure we
can discuss what you could do for Haiku.

With regards to any Haiku CD artwork, whenever the project makes an
official release intended for distribution on a CD, then and only then
there will be official CD artwork that people can download to print on
their CDs. Until then, please wait.

Cheers,

Koki