[openbeos] Re: Bootable Test CD

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:36:00 +0100

Jorge G. Mare wrote:

[...]

> The devs have made a conscious decision protect the quality of the Haiku
> brand by delivering only when a certain level of confidence is reached.
> Let's respect that decision. The live CD, the alphas/betas, and even R1
> will eventually come; we just need to be patient and give the devs their
> time to do their work.

You have hit the nail on the head, Jorge. I agree very much (also with the
part I snipped). Patience is the crucial word here. If you look closely,
you see that the developers do their best to track down critical bugs, bugs
in BFS (!) no less. Michael has explained it pretty well, the intention to
get more developers with this LiveCD is just flawed and does not make
sense. The other point, which is to expose Haiku to more hardware, is also
a bit flawed considering that all the devs are hard at work fixing critical
bugs as much as they can, there is only so much people and so much time.
Does the SATA driver even support CD-ROMS properly yet? My point is, you
have to have some patience. I know it is hard. But please don't undermine
our decisions. It is obvious that we don't want a Live-CD released yet,
otherwise we would have done so ourselves. Others have explained this, you
are free to release a distribution as per the project license, but you
cannot call it "Haiku". Karl, I know you mean well, I hope you don't take
my points the wrong way.

Best regards,
-Stephan