[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:15:47 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Isn't that a pretty strong argument for just using nano as the only
> CLI
> editor and let "power" users install vim, if they prefer? It costs
> only a
> few clicks and everyone is happy.

I tought about it a bit more, and I would be fine with this, as well:
even though POSIX suggests to install vi, what good could it possibly
bring to someone that does not know how to use it? On the contrary,
leaving it out at least let those commands exit with an error message,
instead of throwing an unprepared user into a vi session.
As long as we have vim as an optional package available :-)

Bye,
   Axel.