[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 09:29:21 +0200

2009/5/8 Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx>:
> It was the same for me. Then I read the manual and now I can use it decently.
> The problem is that you are supposed to read some documentation to use
> something correctly. Always.

Which was kind of my point that most ppl won't have the chance to do
that when/if it is set to the default editor. Normally editors have
some way to at least learn the basics. If vi had at least that it
wouldn't be a problem.
(IMO I'd rather this OS come with intuitive defaults so you wouldn't
have to read meters of manuals to get started. Power tools are nice,
but as long as they aren't forced upon those who don't want or need
them).

Is there a way to configure vi so it at least is a little friendly to
newcomers. Like showing a title-bar or such?

Btw vi could be greatly improved if it noticed a user frustratly
banging every key on the keyboard and at least showed a basic help
screen :)

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH