[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

"Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you don't know vim, why do you start it in the first place? Just
> > because you heard it's an editor??
> > Why would you want to use commands you don't know to use? The shell
> > commands can be pretty destructive, and so you better always know
> > what
> > you're doing.
> It has been said before that you end up in vi not on purpose. I don't
> know why
> we even discuss this still.

Because one could go on forever with this. I'm not arguing that vim is
a stupid thing, I just don't see the mentality switch that Fredrik
wants to see; it's just the question of where to draw the line.
FWIW, I actually wasn't aware that there are apps that let you end up
in vim without you knowing it - adding "nano" additionally would not
solve this, though, so removing vim would be the better option for
those apps (and eventually making sure EDITOR is set by default).

> open could figure out that you are logged in remotely, or that the
> desktop is not
> running, and then launch terminal apps in your current session. For
> example a
> text editor that manages to explain itself when you don't know it.

That sounds really nice.

Bye,
   Axel.