[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:14:28 +0200

2009/5/7 André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>

> Em 07/05/2009, às 04:50, Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
>> -1
>>
>> I really don't agree with this.
>> Most of the current users of Haiku are developers.
>> *nano* isn't a bad editor, but vim (or emacs for people
>> who love it) is a source code editor, that's make a
>> real difference.
>>

> You do know that nano is capable of doing regex search/replace, syntax
> highlighting and displaying whitespace with dots/chevron, right? I use it
> almost exclusively for programming. And the cool thing is that it took me
> zero manpage/manual reading to grok it. ^_^
>
> Anyway, I'm not for ditching vi, on the contrary, I specifically
> highlighted the fact that its presence is mandated by Posix. What I (and I
> presume Jonas) said instead is that it's a sane choice for a lean terminal
> text editor to ship with Haiku. Ever since nano started shipping with Mac OS
> X a *boatload* of "for dummies"-like tutorials on using it appeared online.
> It's quality work we could leverage.
>

> Cheers,
> A.

Sorry for my ignorance I just remembered nano as a tiny text editor. :)
I know we could include it as an optional package but, as you say, we can't
blow it away.
And I think I'm not the only who use vim as editor in Haiku.So including
both nano and vim as editors should be the better.

Regards,
--
Maxime