[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 19:51:04 +0200

Jonas Sundström schrieb:
"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And I think I'm not the only who use vim as
editor in Haiku.So including both nano and
vim as editors should be the better.
I think one command line editor should really be
enough. Whether this is vim or nano I don't really
care about, but since we always had vim (even BeOS),
I would vote for that one. If you really need another
command line editor, just go ahead and  install it.

If a choice -has- to be made, I would say that the people
who prefer vim are more likely to know how to install it.

I´m definitely not opposed to having both vim -and-
nano, but I am opposed to only having vim, since clearly that is an editor that a majority of people
(out there) don´t know and don´t want to learn.

(The point can be made that the same people don´t want
to use the CLI shell at all. What a coincidence! ;)
Could it be because people find it unintuitive and not
self-explanatory enough?)

Minor issue - which editors to include - I know, but I find it interesting to question the CLI as a freehaven for (only) developers and experienced users / with a high tolerance for a steep learning curve.

I am with you on this one. I may have to log into a machine that I didn't setup myself, or where I have forgotten to add a command line editor for the rare situation that I have to use a command line editor. I simply want to be able to rely on an editor being present that I can use without remembering how to use it.

If vi has to be present for POSIX compatibility, then so be it, but please let that not force our choice of a sensible command line editor being available. "Oh, we don't like shipping two apps for the same purpose? - Tough luck, vi(m) it has to be!" ;-) It's not like you get one more choice when you right click a text file and go to "Open With". It's a complete non-brainer, something that doesn't ever get in the way. But the day I have to fix something remotely and find out I forgot to install an alternative to vim would be a totally unnecessary disappointment.

Best regards,
-Stephan