[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

Hi,

Von: Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx>
> > Every time I get thrown into vi without me expecting it, like doing
> > svn commit which uses the default editor I get really frustrated and
> > annoyed. (In fact I want to throw the computer out the window). I
> > usually use CTRL-Z and kill the process, because it's very unintuitive
> > to even learn basic commands like help or quit.)
> >
> > Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH
> >

> It was the same for me. Then I read the manual and now I can use it
> decently.
> The problem is that you are supposed to read some documentation to use
> something correctly. Always.

I don't agree wholeheartly. Other apps manage to explain themselves while the
user is looking at them for their basic features. And the fundamentals they
don't explain is usually common practice on the platform or even computers as a
whole. I can go read the manual if I want to learn tricks and advanced
features. But nothing you know about computers from using any other program
holds true in vi, not even how you quit the damn thing. Really, if anyone wants
to use it and thinks it's powerful, perfect, but ignoring the huge usability
barrier that vi poses on anyone who didn't read a manual and then continues
using vi to keep remembering what he learned doesn't help the discussion at all.

Best regards,
-Stephan