[haiku-development] Re: Vim episodes. IV. It is ready to breathe...

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 05:03:32 -0300

Em 07/05/2009, às 04:50, Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

-1

I really don't agree with this.
Most of the current users of Haiku are developers.
*nano* isn't a bad editor, but vim (or emacs for people
who love it) is a source code editor, that's make a
real difference.

You do know that nano is capable of doing regex search/replace, syntax highlighting and displaying whitespace with dots/chevron, right? I use it almost exclusively for programming. And the cool thing is that it took me zero manpage/manual reading to grok it. ^_^

Anyway, I'm not for ditching vi, on the contrary, I specifically highlighted the fact that its presence is mandated by Posix. What I (and I presume Jonas) said instead is that it's a sane choice for a lean terminal text editor to ship with Haiku. Ever since nano started shipping with Mac OS X a *boatload* of "for dummies"-like tutorials on using it appeared online. It's quality work we could leverage.

Cheers,
A.