[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:12:14 -0500

<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> ------
>> * Git
>> ++ allows previously pulled branches to be easily discarded.
> pulled branches? why do you want to do this? they would be still on the

> server, do you mean locally created branches? this is also easily
possible
> in hg over the mq extension

keyword here is extension, so much of the hg features have to be
supplemented with python extensions.  The more crazy python extensions the
greater the chance of something getting eaten.  git was mostly designed
around the UNIX style 'one program provides this out, one program takes
this in.' (however as stated before the git-FUNCTION binaries have gone the
way of the dodo)

> Another point against git is, from what I read in the internet, that it
is more difficult to integrate it into a gui. tortoisehg is a very nice
example how well hg can be integrated into a gui.

haha, did you see tortoisegit?

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Interfaces,_frontends,_and_tools#Graphical_Interfaces

Why would you need a gui? The following git commands should cover 90% of
what you need to do.

git clone XXX
git commit -a -m "my commit / change"
git diff