[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:14:25 -0500

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:31:22 +0200, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> inspired by recent experience, I'd like to propose that we move away
from
> using subversion as our version control system and use a distributed VCS

> instead.

I may not have a large amount of leverage (or any really), but personally
I'd +1 git.

Here are a few quick +1 reasons off the top of my head:

* Originally developed for usage in Linux kernel development by Linus...
thus comes from a background of large code projects with even larger
numbers of developers.
* SVN to git migration is well documented and stable:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html
* git runs well on Haiku (I've been doing git pushes and pulls to github
under Haiku for quite some time without any issues)
* in hg, deleting named branches is incredibly painful.
* being able to make a named branch would of made the GSoC IPv6 work a lot
easier on kfx

A few comparison notes here:
http://importantshock.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/git-vs-mercurial/

Moving away from svn would be a big change though, incrementing revision
numbers makes it crazy easy to reference sources at points in time.
Up to you guys, I don't have commit so I won't be using it everyday. ;)

Thanks!

 -- Alex