[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:18:50 +0200

On 2010-06-23 at 14:09:34 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2010-06-22 at 22:31:22 [+0200], Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> [...]
> > With any of git or mercurial, I'd suggest to keep the central repository
> > approach, but additionally give every developer the chance to create a
> > clone from the central repo in his home folder (which would then be part
> > of
> > the backup scheme).
> > This way, everyone could experiment in his own repo or commit directly
> > into
> > the central repo.
>
> While that sounds good, wouldn't it dramatically increase disk usage (beyond
> what is currently available)?

Not initially, as mercurial makes use of hard links if possible. Of course,
over time the disk usage might increase quite considerably.

Alternatively, we could stay with the fully centralized approach and have all
developer branches in the single, central mercurial repo.
That would mean that, at least by default, a checkout (i.e. clone) from that
repo would fetch all branches. But that is probably not of much concern, as I
suppose all the non-trunk branches are quite small.

We'd have to try, I guess :-)

cheers,
        Oliver