[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:31:06 +0200

Hi,

On 22 June 2010 22:46, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I personally favour Mercurial because of its simplicity and higher
>> cmdline
>> compatibility with subversion.
>> Additionally, the documentation of mercurial seems to be much more
>> accessible than git's manpages and trac's mercurial plugin seems to
>> be in a
>> better shape than the ones for git.
>
> FWIW, I'm in favour of Mercurial as well. Despite that, IMO git
> disqualifies itself, as it does not support monotonically increasing
> revision numbers; I would not be okay with identifying revisions by
> hash value only.

Unfortunately the revision numbers are repository/working copy
specific. The central server could very well have a different revision
order than your local one.

>> I have not yet checked the state of haiku's git port, but I've noticed
>> that
>> in order to get mercurial working on haiku, we'd need to fix quite
>> some
>> failing tests in Python's as well as Mercurial's testsuite.
>
> Having it run on Haiku seemlessly would be a requirement, though.
>
> [...]
>> Anyway, I'd like to hear any input on whether or not we should drop
>> subversion and, if so, which way we should go.
>
> Since there is only hg in my opinion, it doesn't look like we can just
> switch without putting some more effort into it.

Furthermore, I would like to add that this should be a discussion
about which development model we want to have. If we want to stick to
the centralized repository model then subversion really does almost
everything we want. If we want to start experimenting with a less
centralized model (for example with lieutenants), then there are other
options.

The choice for an alternative RCS really should depend on requirements
we have, not on tastes.

> As Niels recently announced a bridge between a distributed VCS and
> subversion, maybe that's something to start with; if that actually
> works reliably, then there wouldn't be any need to switch at all, since
> everyone could choose by his own preference.

I would like to extend the test suite a little bit more, to test some
more complex configurations. If I did that I will share the source on
http://hg.haiku-os.org. It basically is a hook that responds to hg
push actions. I will write a short blog explaining the theory behind
it.