[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:34:43 -0700

> > I have not yet checked the state of haiku's git port, but I've noticed
> > that
> > in order to get mercurial working on haiku, we'd need to fix quite
> > some
> > failing tests in Python's as well as Mercurial's testsuite.
>
> Having it run on Haiku seemlessly would be a requirement, though.
>
> [...]
> > Anyway, I'd like to hear any input on whether or not we should drop
> > subversion and, if so, which way we should go.
>
> Since there is only hg in my opinion, it doesn't look like we can just
> switch without putting some more effort into it.

Hg relies on python, and our python has a few regression tests that it's
still failing.  Some of those are related to hard links, but there's a few
others that may or may not be of concern:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/PythonRegressionTests
At HaikuPorts I don't see any open trac tickets for Mercurial or Git, so
either they are working perfectly or no one has bothered to post bug reports
for them yet.
We do have 3 or 4 open ones for Subversion though:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/ticket/198
http://ports.haiku-files.org/ticket/199
http://ports.haiku-files.org/ticket/200
There is this note about Git:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/dev-util/git/1.7.0.4/1

We should probably run the full test suite for both Hg and Git and see how
well they are working under Haiku.
We use cvs, svn, git and hg with haikuporter now and I've only seen some
intermittent issues with our cvs port so far, in that it sometimes hangs
during a download.

-scottmc