[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 00:29:40 +0200

Am 23.06.2010 um 10:14 schrieb Axel Dörfler:

For me, git is out of the question, not only because of the revision
numbers, but also because of its incredibly bad user interface,

Hm? Anything in particular?
I find the porcelain's implicit use of less very handy, for instance.

and
things like the need to rebuilt its internal database from time to
time.

Are you referring to the optional git-gc cleanup? You can turn it off if you don't care about disk space:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-gc.html

In r37249 you renamed openfirmware/start.c to start.cpp - a welcome move but unfortunately I had patches against start.c in local branches. git-rebase took a few seconds but figured out that the file was renamed and how to apply my local patches to the new file. This would not work with Mercurial's qpush (mq) that has been promoted by Niels; the patch file would need to be edited manually in such a case.

Another area where I have seen Mercurial lacking is its network backend: I was unsuccessful in cloning from hg.haiku-os.org on my way to BeGeistert because hg wouldn't handle an interrupted TCP/IP connection properly. SVN and Git would exit in that case and let you resume the operation with `svn up` or `git pull` respectively, whereas hg just hung and, once killed, deleted every single file received so that I had to start over.

Most likely every DVCS will have some advantages over another in some area or else it would cease to be used.

Andreas