[hackpgh-party] Re: Initial wiki page up!

  • From: Doug Philips <douglas.philips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-party@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:21:28 -0500

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 16:10, gwen <gwenix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am OK with axing drink tickets, but I'd like to point out some
> misunderstandings here:
>
> 2) the equipment we're being lent at OTB is worth more than a few drink
> tickets.

?? I guess I missed that part of the conversation last night. Do you mean
use of the room or is there something specific that I didn't hear about (or
amn't remembering)??

> 3) not everyone uses a drink ticket, so we'd actually gain the money
> back for what is unused.

I think Mandy's point is that folks who know they won't be using the drink
ticket will be disinclined to participate...

> a $5 ticket.  The reason I haven't asked is because I don't care.  I'm
> OK with the bar profiting from us as well, because if this works out
> well, I'd like for us to have a good working relationship for the
> future.

I agree, I'd rather it be a good experience for everyone involved.

> I just want to make sure the facts are straight here... because I see
> it as potentially a gain for the shop with little effort from us, and
> a good bone to throw to the venue for hosting us.

Little effort, big reward, I agree with too.
I'm not sure how to judge the benefit to the shop with the perception that
teetotalers are getting the short end of the stick... Certainly when I
started coming to the shop mid-2009 there was a lot more beer drinking going
on than there is now, so the tenor of the members has definitely changed.

> Now, the $10 being steep during the holidays, that's also something we
> should discuss regardless of the drink tickets.  I don't have a good
> feel for that, because so many of the fundraising events I go to are
> in the $50+ range.  Our demographic is our members and our friends...
> would they more likely to come at what ticket price?

Hmmm, well $50+ is definitely out my range of experience...

I think we need a vote of some sort about what is reasonable here.
> Should I ask on the main list for a show of hands?  I'd phrase the
> question like this:
>
> Do you think you and your friends are likely to attend the holiday
> party if the ticket price is:
> 1) $5
> 2) $10 and includes a drink ticket
>
> Or should I set up a doodle poll with that?

Getting feedback from members oft seems like getting blood from a stone,
doodle poll or email...

Maybe ticket of $5, and then for $5 increments you can either get one raffle
ticket and one drink ticket, or two raffle tickets? I think if we can show
off the stuff we do, position this as a fund-raiser too (to soften the
clenched purse/wallet crowd), it could work. Esp. if we can have at least
one really cool item in each basket...

I think we should try to get feedback from the membership, but I'm open to
talking about the options a little bit longer first...

-D