[hackpgh-party] Re: funding, etc.

  • From: Doug Philips <douglas.philips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-party@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:40:13 -0500

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 15:47, Mandy <steelgreypittsburgh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So for party times, I'll just run with a start time for our graphic.
> They're not closing the bar for us anyway, so if people want to stay and
> hang that won't matter.  I'll use 7pm as I'm working on the graphic, but if
> discussions go on and we decide on a different time I'll just swap it out,
> no biggie.  People can find out more on the website later anyway.

I can't make it help set up 'night of' much before then, so I'd rather see
it be 7:30 or 8pm. I'm not sure how much we can do in advance and how much
we need to do at the last minute...

>  Awesome on the baskets being donations only, I think better to not dip
> into any shop funds, since we're trying to make a little $.  How to get this
> on member's radar for earlier gathering?

Soonish, yes.
I was suggesting shop funds for real expenses because it is not fair for
individual members to shell out for expenses that have a whole-shop-benefit.
Though I'm new to the council and this may be heresy. :-)

As an example, the WACOM Ham radio club (which put on the Washington Ham
Fest), spent > $1000 on raffle prizes. I haven't yet seen the post-event
analysis, but they get a lot of raffle ticket sales (entry fee nets you one
raffle ticket, but the extra ones are much cheaper). Granted, hamfests have
been going on a long time and they've figured out what kinds of raffle
prizes draw the most ticket sales, but most everyone buying the tickets is
doing so as much to help the organization as to getting the prize. I recall
the UPENE raffles having the same dynamic.

If we (the shop) had classes planned out far enough, we could even include a
ticket good for one free class (minus materials expense) in the baskets. It
wouldn't really cost us much to do that, but it would, technically, be
forfeiting one ticket sale.

Still thinking out loud...

-D