[hackpgh-party] Re: Initial wiki page up!

  • From: gwen <gwenix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-party@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:10:50 -0500

I am OK with axing drink tickets, but I'd like to point out some
misunderstandings here:

1) it's not up to us to track the tickets, it's up to OTB.  As far as
I'm concerned, they could just toss the tickets into a bowl, and we'll
count them up at the end of the night.  that's a physical marker of
what is "spent", so I'm not worried about us having to count that up
too.
2) the equipment we're being lent at OTB is worth more than a few drink tickets.
3) not everyone uses a drink ticket, so we'd actually gain the money
back for what is unused.
4) as for drink specials, perhaps that'll get used for the $5 drinks,
and if we get a drink special, people will spend on that later.  We
aren't requiring what the tickets are spent on.
5) If we do drink tickets, we charge $10.  If we don't do drink
tickets, we charge $5.  The tickets are covering themselves, so it's
not like it's something that should ever be a net negative.  It
doesn't matter what people use them for ($2 drink?  whatever, so the
bar makes some money... we're still covered by the same $5 we put into
it.)

Plus, I haven't actually asked specifics about what OTB would do --
for all I know they'll just add whatever's put on a ticket onto a tab,
at which point we pick up the profit for someone putting a $2 drink on
a $5 ticket.  The reason I haven't asked is because I don't care.  I'm
OK with the bar profiting from us as well, because if this works out
well, I'd like for us to have a good working relationship for the
future.

I just want to make sure the facts are straight here... because I see
it as potentially a gain for the shop with little effort from us, and
a good bone to throw to the venue for hosting us.

Now, the $10 being steep during the holidays, that's also something we
should discuss regardless of the drink tickets.  I don't have a good
feel for that, because so many of the fundraising events I go to are
in the $50+ range.  Our demographic is our members and our friends...
would they more likely to come at what ticket price?

I think we need a vote of some sort about what is reasonable here.
Should I ask on the main list for a show of hands?  I'd phrase the
question like this:

Do you think you and your friends are likely to attend the holiday
party if the ticket price is:
1) $5
2) $10 and includes a drink ticket

Or should I set up a doodle poll with that?

--
Gwendolyn R. Schmidt