[hackpgh-party] Re: Initial wiki page up!

  • From: Mandy <steelgreypittsburgh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-party@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 15:47:40 -0500

Hi!

So for party times, I'll just run with a start time for our graphic.
They're not closing the bar for us anyway, so if people want to stay and
hang that won't matter.  I'll use 7pm as I'm working on the graphic, but if
discussions go on and we decide on a different time I'll just swap it out,
no biggie.  People can find out more on the website later anyway.

Awesome on the baskets being donations only, I think better to not dip into
any shop funds, since we're trying to make a little $.  How to get this on
member's radar for earlier gathering?

For the drink tickets - I did a little digging, and many nights (seems
especially weeknights) OTB has drink specials for $2.  I'm super disinclined
to pay $5 for one drink when I can potentially get two for less.  Also, it's
been a while since I've been there, but I don't remember their
drafts being that expensive even for the fancy pulls.  Mixed drinks, sure...
but I think we're more of a beer crowd.  If OTB is just going to collect
drink tickets and charge us $5 per ticket at the end of the night, somebody
has to wrangle those tickets, keep track of how many we have *actually*
given out (or come up with a non-easily-reproduced something), and pay the
bill at the end of the night.  And anyone turning in a drink ticket
will pull $5 out of the shop's made funds for every drink when said drink
may have cost less than half that.  Same with running a tab...  to be very
very blunt, that scares the crap out of me and opens up potential loss for
the shop.  If it were only paid ticket holders in the bar, not so much of a
worry, but that's not the case here (not saying that should be the case, I
think the more we can introduce to the group, the merrier).

I understand about throwing the bar a bone, but the way I see it, we're
already throwing them a huge one by doing publicity for this and driving a
whole crowd of people into their bar (ideally) on a night that wouldn't see
that much activity normally.  Plus, they're not closing it for us or keeping
out anyone else that shows up and just wants to visit the bar.  People will
drink, people will order food, people will tip, and they will make
more money from that activity that normally wouldn't be there.  We didn't
pay the Brillobox anything - and as a matter of fact, they gave US a handful
of drink tickets for free to combo with the party prizes since we were
driving so many people there on a random night that would be otherwise slow.

I like your idea of tickets being a little cheaper in advance - but there
are some logistics involved... like do we give out actual "tickets" that
those people have to bring in?  Do we put them on a list we keep at the
party?

And good point on "who" for "what price".  I do think we need to be aware of
that.  It's right in mad-shopping and budget-crunching time - so $10 might
be a little steep.  And I totally understand re: getting something in
return.  I think a raffle ticket should stay with admission.  Maybe there's
something else we could do very very cost efficiently in addition?  A
throwie "pin" or something like that?

So all my rambling aside...

I'm only one voice in many, but personally I'm against the drink tickets.
It's more work for the shop, with zero gain for the shop.

I'll be working on the graphic the next couple nights and hope to have some
time to make a final for send-around thoughts Friday night at the shop.

*m