[gps-talkusers] Re: trekker experiences

  • From: "Keith \(mteye\)" <mteye@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 15:36:45 -0600

lol. I guess at that temperature, even electrons just decide to stay someplace warm, and don't want to come out and play.

Actually, to put it in a nutshell, it has to do with the properties of semiconductor materials. They tend to not conduct, get brittle, and certain components like LCD displays can freeze and turn black.
--KH

-----Original Message----- From: Dale Leavens
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2010 9:19 AM
To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: trekker experiences

Well, at minus 40 or even as warm as minus 30C which is just a little below
minus 20F, you need to keep electronics inside your clothing or the
electronics become unreliable according to most manufacturers literature.
For a time I  tried using WayFinder on my phone in a large mitten but it is
really hard to hear. I didn't have a bluetooth headset but I don't much like
head sets when I am out traveling in the snow, sounds already being muted.

Reading a couple of lines of braille at intervals when you want to be
alerted to an intersection just doesn't cut it.

Now that I am retired I can just choose to stay home under blizzard or cold
conditions but then neither do I have need for GPS in my living room.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Howard Kaufman" <wa9top@xxxxxxxxx>