[geocentrism] Re: Voyager

  • From: "Philip" <joyphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:38:17 +1000

Rob, I can go along with you on the seemingly stupid assertion that the
Space program is a Charade. I'm gullible though. I could therefore be wrong.
The Bible does indeed talk of the prince of liars in the latter times. It
does talk of men with itching fingers or something teaching lies as truth,
and truth as being fables. Thus I am not ready to totally deny that I just
might be being conned. This is after all a tightly controlled media world.
Only just. I still cannot see any evidence to support a con.

But I could not let the following of yours go without comment.

"This is about the
equivalent
> of those Catholics who refused to look through Galileo's telescope at the
> moons of Jupiter, preferring instead to argue them out of existence."

Such a comment reveals that you also may be subject to being conned.

The Galeleo affair was never about Galeleo's astronomy. The Church of his
time welcomed the telescope with gusto. Galeleo was never condemned for
putting the geocentric  model up as a mathmatical example or theory. Rather
he was condemned for challenging the truth of Catholic doctrine, in as it
was taught concerning Biblical truths, basing his assertion upon what at the
time were unproven and un provable theories. Cardinal Bellarmine his major
prosecuter was a quite a competent astronomer himself.

Juust in case your sources talk of the terrible treatment of Galeleo ,
theses also are erroneous. He was never imprisoned, unless you call house
arrest for a time, and being prevented from speaking publicly on doctrinal
matters, imprisonment. He still injoyed his friends of high society even
among church dignitaries, throughout the event.

He was almost untouchable, but chose to be prudent when charged with heresy,
which could have invoked the death penalty by the civil authorities.