[geocentrism] Re: Three days and three nights

  • From: Carl Felland <cfelland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 06:40:42 -0500

Thanks Neville for you comments on the overview.

[N] When you say that, “the first month of the year (Tishri) is based
…,” I think you should clarify which year you are talking of.

[C] I believe that this comment works for any Jewish year. Tishri is the
first month and is always 30 days long, regardless of the moon. It is
set to begin at the crescent moon, unless the holidays would fall on
certain weekdays. In this case the beginning of the month is shifted by
up to two days. The next two months are either 29 or 30 days. The 5th
thru 12th months then alternate between 29 and 30 days. For leap years,
a 30 day month is inserted after the 5th month. This calendar works
closely, but I am just pointing out that because of these arbitrary
rules it does not completely match observations of the moon.

Would this wording work better?

[N] “in the time of the Bible,”

[C] What I meant to say...

In contrast, Scriptural and other historic evidence suggests that the
New Moon is a period of time (one or two days) based on the astronomical
New Moon.

[N] “Weeks are continuous, rather than being ‘reset’ by the new moon,”

[C] I worded this a little cryptically.

A Jewish calendar, as does the Gregorian calendar, has weeks that are
continuous repeating seven day cycles. For example, the seventh day of
the week is always the Jewish Sabbath, as is Sunday always the first day
of the week on the Gregorian calendar. In the Biblical Calendar the
Sabbath day may be on "Mondays" one month and "Wednesdays" on the next
month. In the perspective of the Gregorian calendar, the Sabbath is seen
to be floating.

Would the below make it clearer?

“Weeks are continuously repeating seven day cycles, rather than being
‘reset’ each month by the new moon,”

Carl