RE: Windows 2003 Active Directory

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:10:46 -0800

> Actually it is valid - it just isn't reserved.  People use it all the time
> with no ill effects - the only way a Bad Thing is likely to happen
following
> the use of .local internally is if suddenly .local were a valid,
> registerable TLD on the Internet.

Sure, people and companies can get along fine for years with a mistake in
place, and then one day wake up and Gotcha.

It is always recommended to follow proper procedures, not make up the rules
as you go. Anything less is unprofessional and can lead to consequences down
the road.

> That seems extremely unlikely - you should probably worry about a
satellite
> dropping on your head as a more likely occurrence.

Well, I personally have not heard of any satellites dropping on any one's
head, I have indeed heard of problems using .local as a TLD.

> The important point isn't so much what you use as your internal - rather
> that you avoid using your external domain presence.  Ideally you also want
> to avoid using someone else's external domain name.

No one said to avoid, only not recommended unless you know what you are
doing. Using Split DNS can help things and can also cause big problems. It
all depends on who is administering it.

Oh, BTW. Ideally has nothing to do with not using some one else's domain
name, you can not do so period. It WILL cause problems.

> As for your email domain, which I suspect is the root of the question for
> you, using a private internal name versus a different public domain has no
> impact on your ability to receive and send mail as name@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The two are not related.

Sure they are and if not configured correctly can cause problems, such as if
you do not configure your Exchange server (or what ever flavor of e-mail
server you have on the internal LAN) to accept e-mail destined for users
using the external public domain, they will not get the e-mail.

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You