RE: Windows 2003 Active Directory

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:18:12 -0800

> > I always want to have at least 2 Domain Controllers even for
> > the smallest non-SBS shops, both of which should be global
> > catalog servers (which provides for Exchange/Outlook to use
> > secondary).
>
> When I planned this upgrade I always planned for two DC's (I remember
> NT4 requiring two DC's under similar situations).  Unfortunately, due to
> a lack of homework and trust of the system integrator, that second DC
> was also used for exchange.  If I had my time over again I would
> pruchase three windows 2003 licenses, two for DC's and one for the
> exchange server.

Here is an interesting idea: (Note, I am not sure of the legality of this.)

I have 4 lab boxes with removable drives. I can pop drives in and out
depending on what I need to test and so forth.

As a value added service, offer the client a DR assistance option. Configure
and build a server on a lab computer with a removable drive at the client.
Join it to the domain and make it a DC and GC. Shut it down and remove the
drive. Once every 3 months or so bring it to the client and turn it on and
let it sync and run updates and such. (It may have to be every month for
tombstoning, this is part of what I have not researched or tested yet.)

In the event of a major problem, you could bring that in, turn it on,
restore the systemstate, and restart to cmdcons and force a authoritive AD
restore. Now at least you have some thing to work with to get the client up
and running.

Again, this is a idea and theory I have read and thought about, but have not
had to time to test or implement.

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You