RE: Windows 2003 Active Directory

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:08:39 -0800

> Do not fear, you are not the bearer of bad news.
> I have read docs (and will re-read, anyway) and queried this list, as
> well.
> We have two DC's, one hosting exchange.  The plan is to:
> - Build another Exchange server (Exchange2) as a member server
> - move mailboxes to the new server (Exchange2)
> - uninstall Exchange from the DC
> - demote the DC to a member server
> - install exchange again on this server
> - move mailboxes back to the newly installed exchange
> - decommission the temporary Exchange server (Exchange2)
> This leaves us with only one DC but we only have about 100 staff
> accessing this DC.
> Hopefully this will be a relatively smooth transition.

Ah, it is so nice and refreshing to see that some one has done their

I might go 3 steps further: After demoting, remove from domain, rebuild with
new name, join to domain, then install Exchange. Yes, that adds about 4-5
hours to the job, but that way you can avoid weird errors that MAY (not
will) arise down the road. I would have to say these would be optional steps
that if you have the time would be nice to add.

John Tolmachoff
eServices For You