RE: Windows 2003 Active Directory

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:30:52 -0500

What Exchange will do by default (I think by default, IIRC) is add the
internal domain name as a sort of 'internal' email address, when you do the
installation.  Then configuring an additional / primary SMTP address as an
additional one in the recipient policy is what gets that 'other' mail domain
working.

I've always left that 'internal' SMTP address in the recipient policy as it
doesn't hurt anything, and I seem to recall that it can circumvent other
internal delivery issues.  That might be legacy versions of Exchange though,
so I would have to dig into that a little.

In any case, you're right, qualifying what can be done and how to accomplish
it is a good thing.

On the other hand - hopefully some of the suggestions folks make on this
board will lead others into digging and researching a bit, getting their
interest flowing and leading to a deeper understanding of their particular
situation and challenges.

Of course I also hope for world peace...probably back to the satellite in
the head thing.

On 3/7/05 2:20 PM, "John Tolmachoff (Lists)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> There's no interrelationship between what you name your AD and what email
> domains you use for external email and MX records.  You can name one
foo.com
> and the other bar.com and as long as you can enter a valid MX record for
> foobar.com pointing to you, you can accept email and send email from that
> domain.  What you enter as your AD DNS name won't matter as far as this is
> concerned.

If your external domain name is publicexample.moc and the internal is
privateexample.moc, and your exchange server is not configured to accept
e-mail for publicexample.moc through either recipient policy or such,
Exchange will not accept them.