RE: Windows 2003 Active Directory

  • From: "adrian bolzan" <abolzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:22:12 +1100

Hi,

From my own experience I would say that you should not use your public
domain name as your internal AD domain name; I would recommend something
like "kenya-airways.local".  As you host your website externally, and I
presume use external DNS servers, you will find that you will not have
to manage your Windows DNS servers as much.

If you use kenya-airways.com as your AD domain you will need to set up
hosts in the Windows server's DNS that point to external sources.  This
means 'www', 'mail' and anything else.  You can do it but it is a
hassle.

If you use the "kenya-airways.local" then all requests for name
resolution will be passed to your DNS servers (again I presume these are
external servers, like an ISP), including kenya-airways.com

I realise that this seems trivial but using .local would give you more
flexibility, for example when hosting your own DNS servers (we use BIND
on linux in split DNS, together with the Windows server DNS services),
as well as any other number of services.

We used one of our domain names as our AD domain and this is now
generating more work than I need.

Anyway, just my AUD$0.20.

Cheers,
Adrian

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments is confidential.
If received in error, please contact the sender and delete
all copies of this email. Please note that any use,
dissemination, further distribution or reproduction of this
message in any form is strictly prohibited. Before opening or
using attachments, check them for viruses and defects.
Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused
by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or
indirectly from the use of any attached files, our liability
is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.
Any representations or opinions expressed in this email are
those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those
of the Capital Transport Group.