RE: Windows 2003 Active Directory

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:40:06 -0800

> When I upgraded to AD from NDS I did not really understand the
> ramifications of using one of my public domain names as our AD domain
> name, nor did the service integrator I engaged.  Nor did they realise
> that exchange should not be installed on a DC.  As such I am now
> planning a domain rename, as well as demoting the DC with exchange to a
> member server,

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but demoting a server that is
both a DC and Exchange will cause additional problems. (Like you really want
more.) The problem is Exchange has to connect to a DC, and one that is a GC.
If Exchange is installed on a DC, it will look to itself for AD only. You
will need to research this as there are KB on how to change the DC Exchange
looks for.

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You