[elky] Re: wireless router

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:16:29 -0500 (EST)

do I have to replace the router I have now, or is the wireless something
that adds to it?

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 11/26/2012 8:07:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

You can  test your speed here: _http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/_
(http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)   With cable you  should have 20-30mbps,
depending on your package.

I suggest a dual band  router, either the new "AC" standard or the previous
"N".  My speed is  35mbps on a wired connection.  With my previous "B/G"
standard router I  would get ~6mbps on wireless devices (phones, laptops).
Now with the  Asus dual band N router I get 28mbps on wireless devices,
definitely worth the  upgrade.

My Tivos use the wireless as well, but I will probably be hard  wiring
them, as there is occasional stuttering if you stream an HD program  from one
the other.