[elky] Re: wireless router

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:15:45 -0500

I'll answer your two questions here.  First, a modem and router are two
different devices.  The modem is what takes the cable signal and converts
it to internet, a router is like a cable splitter, it takes the single
input and splits it into several outputs (typically 4).  A wireless router
does the same and also sends out the signal wirelessly.

I'm guessing your current set up is cable -> modem -> PC.  To add wireless
access you would set it up cable -> modem -> wireless router -> PC
(wired).  Does this make sense?