[elky] Re: wireless router

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:08:24 -0500 (EST)

I do have charter.......... Hmmmmmmmm?

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 11/26/2012 10:06:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
elcam84@xxxxxxxxx writes:

That's  kind of slow but if you are paying for 10mbs then it's right or if
you have  DSL it's really fast. DSL has a bad rep here. Lots of problems and
 slow.

We get a  minimum of 22mbs (highs in the 40s) but we only pay for 10 on
charter. They  only throttle uploads not downloads. When you move up to the
higher packages  they increase the upload speed.

Robert  Adams

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM, <_STILLFRANKSFAULT@aol.com_
(mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

11.14 Msps download, 3.20 Msps upload. and this means?
No fiberoptics here. This is sold as high speed, am I getting  ripped off.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 11/26/2012 8:07:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
_chris@partsforspeed.com_ (mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  writes:

You can  test your speed here: _http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/_
(http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)   With cable you  should have 20-30mbps,
depending on your package.

I suggest a dual  band router, either the new "AC" standard or the previous
"N".  My  speed is 35mbps on a wired connection.  With my previous "B/G"
standard router I would get ~6mbps on wireless devices (phones,  laptops).
Now with the Asus dual band N router I get 28mbps on  wireless devices,
definitely worth the upgrade.

My Tivos use the  wireless as well, but I will probably be hard wiring
them, as there is  occasional stuttering if you stream an HD program from one
the  other.