[elky] Re: wireless router

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:01:53 -0500 (EST)

This was sold to me as their top speed stuff.... so.... this might be all
they can muster. It does make me want to question them about it. They don't
have  HD for their cable TV, so I have DTV for that.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 11/26/2012 9:52:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
elcam84@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Also you can ditch  your router from the company all together. There are
lots available for DSL  that have wired and wireless and they finally started
selling one for cable a  few years ago but last I checked there was still
only one on the market.  Basically you buy a router then call your provider
and give them the mac  address on the unit and they will enter that into their
system. Then you can  give back the one you were renting and not pay for it
anymore. If you  have charter make sure to hound them for a return package
with a shipping  label. If you don't ask they will just tell you to ship it
back to St Louis on  your dime as you cannot give it to a charter guy or
drop it off at their  office.

Robert Adams

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Robert Adams <_elcam84@gmail.com_
(mailto:elcam84@xxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

That's  kind of slow but if you are paying for 10mbs then it's right or if
you have  DSL it's really fast. DSL has a bad rep here. Lots of problems and
 slow.

We get a  minimum of 22mbs (highs in the 40s) but we only pay for 10 on
charter. They  only throttle uploads not downloads. When you move up to the
higher packages  they increase the upload speed.

Robert  Adams

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM, <_STILLFRANKSFAULT@aol.com_
(mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

11.14 Msps download, 3.20 Msps upload. and this means?
No fiberoptics here. This is sold as high speed, am I  getting ripped off.

Smokey Mt  Frank

In a message dated 11/26/2012 8:07:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
_chris@partsforspeed.com_ (mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  writes:

You can  test your speed here: _http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/_
(http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)   With cable  you should have 20-30mbps,
depending on your package.

I suggest a  dual band router, either the new "AC" standard or the previous
 "N".  My speed is 35mbps on a wired connection.  With my  previous "B/G"
standard router I would get ~6mbps on wireless devices  (phones, laptops).
Now with the Asus dual band N router I get  28mbps on wireless devices,
definitely worth the upgrade.

My  Tivos use the wireless as well, but I will probably be hard wiring
them,  as there is occasional stuttering if you stream an HD program from one
to the other.