[elky] Re: wireless router

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:41:51 -0500 (EST)

Thanks, Son-in-law is the PC guy, and he's coming it 3 weeks. I will get
him to install it.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 11/26/2012 9:33:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

That  depends on your system. If you have cable, there is probably a tap on
the back  of it to plug in a router. Check the documentation. You can plug
the model  number and brand in to google and see where to plug it in if you
find a PDF  for your router.

My router from AT&T has the wireless built in. If  you see an antennae
.......... (see above)

Sometimes, you have to get a  reverse wired cable to connect the 2 routers,
so look for instructions on that  too. The wireless usually has wired ports
for stuff. You will log in to the  router to set things just like going to
a web page, only with numbers.  (192.168.1.1 or something)

I hate network stuff, but you can figure it  out if you take a logical
approach and don't let it beat you up.

LOL, my logical approach is to have my son-in-law approach it.

Ho Ho Ho!
JC

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:16 AM, <_STILLFRANKSFAULT@aol.com_
(mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

do I have to replace the router I have now, or is the wireless  something
that adds to it?

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 11/26/2012 8:07:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
_chris@partsforspeed.com_ (mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  writes:

You can  test your speed here: _http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/_
(http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)   With cable you  should have 20-30mbps,
depending on your package.

I suggest a dual  band router, either the new "AC" standard or the previous
"N".  My  speed is 35mbps on a wired connection.  With my previous "B/G"
standard router I would get ~6mbps on wireless devices (phones,  laptops).
Now with the Asus dual band N router I get 28mbps on  wireless devices,
definitely worth the upgrade.

My Tivos use the  wireless as well, but I will probably be hard wiring
them, as there is  occasional stuttering if you stream an HD program from one
the  other.