[elky] Re: wireless router

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:39:54 -0800

I asked Dan.  We have a Belkin and a 'whatever the f***"

well, you asked.

Mary
You can test your speed here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ With cable you should have 20-30mbps, depending on your package.

I suggest a dual band router, either the new "AC" standard or the previous "N". My speed is 35mbps on a wired connection. With my previous "B/G" standard router I would get ~6mbps on wireless devices (phones, laptops). Now with the Asus dual band N router I get 28mbps on wireless devices, definitely worth the upgrade.

My Tivos use the wireless as well, but I will probably be hard wiring them, as there is occasional stuttering if you stream an HD program from one to the other.