[duxuser] Re: Braille Bills

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:48:56 +0100

Hi Terri,

The other moderators may not agree, but personally speaking,
I consider the topic of "good quality braille" one worth
pursuing.

If a braille utility bill system is set up properly, by its
very nature, it should produce braille which is at least
acceptable.

My take over here in the UK would be to write to the Public
Relations department of company who sent you the bill,
tactfully pointing out specific errors in the translation,
such as the incorrect translation of e-mail and web
addresses, and suggest that perhaps their braille
translation software may be out of date.

Mention that there are also some issues of a technical,
braille specific nature, which you would be happy to explain
to someone with a knowledge of braille.

But don't get too technical as the first reader of your
letter will be unlikely to even know what braille is, never
mind what the mistakes mean to the braille reader.

Finally, thank them for making the effort to produce and
express your sincere appreciation of same, offering further
help if they wish to contact you.

In nine out of ten cases where I've seen this done over
here, it has usually resulted in steps being taken to
correct the problems.

You are after all a customer, and can take your business
elsewhere.  They don't want to loose paying customers.