[duxuser] Re: Braille Bills

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:12:59 -0400 (EDT)

In the case where a large utility company is producing many braille bills, the company might purchase its own copy of braille translation software and assign this task once a month to someone. That person will produce braille which is only as good as the translation software can do when it is unassisted. The other factor is that when a company hires somebody to transcribe, they take on faith that the person or agency knows what they are doing. In the case of the transcriber hired to braille the utility bills for the electric company in New York, they made a very poor choice but how could they know better? As more and more braille is produced by non-transcribers, we will see more and more of this kind of thing. If the braille is a complete mess, I suggest getting in touch with the particular utility and locating the person responsible for these types of special needs. They will be able to tell you who was hired to do the braille.
Catherine