[argyllcms] Re: More on instrument access

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:51:50 +1100

Leonard Evens wrote:

Compared to MSWindows and OS X, Linux is by far the hardest to use
USB instruments with, because of the permission problems.

But won't most users of those OSs just use the proprietary software
provided by the manufacturers of the devices?

Much of the time, yes. But I was comparing the ease of using
instruments on those other platforms using Argyll, so it's
an apples to apples comparison.

Apple OS X is first - with the exception of the HCFR (which could be fixed by
accessing it as a serial device), you don't have to do anything, you just
plug the instrument in and run the software.
MSWindows is second. When you plug the instrument in you have to tell it
where the .ini file is, or you have to tell it to switch from
an existing driver to the Argyll .ini file. For the Huey, you don't
even have to do that.
Linux is third. You have to edit various configuration files, and I'm not
even able to give a set of instructions on how to do this that is likely
to work! (I hope to improve this, but it might be rather messy and
a fair amount of work for me - I'm counting 10 distros that need
testing to give reasonable coverage, and on past experience it will
all be wrong again in 12 months time).

It's quite easy for me to comprehend why commercial software vendors
do not like supporting Linux.