[argyllcms] Re: "Washed" / low contrast colors on calibrated display

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:39:27 +1100

Frédéric Crozat wrote:

Somehow, it has worked for her for years now, even when sending to
professional manufacturers (for stuff like boxes, etc..) But I guess
the color workflow could be improved (but I won't be the one
teasing her about that ;)

Lots of people in the graphic arts industries have got by avoiding
any color management for all of the professional lives. It usually
means that someone else is doing it though (traditionally
the scanner operators, pre-press and some degree printers).

With the disappearance of scanner operators and the
squeezing out of pre-press, and the vast expansion in number
of color input and output devices in the modern world,
it's got harder to avoid the issue though.

Those who are up to speed on color management are regularly
horrified when they come across big time printing houses
that can't answer the question "which CMYK color space
do you want the files in ?".

I was speaking about images named : Mandriva-Powerpack-1024x768.png
(and so on). They aren't very bright (except maybe the right part of
the gradient).

On my setup they are also relatively dark. Like the photo's,
they only start to look OK if I view them in a completely
dark room (ie. so that my eyes adapt to a lower light level).
With ambient lighting of about the same brightness as my
screen, they look slightly dark, and the blue is not particularly
saturated. This is no surprise as the highest blue value
in the background is 175/255. The logo and graphic on
the right look to have perfectly acceptable contrast though.

Yes, they've been tweaked ;) I checked those images with and without
calibration and they loose a lot of punch on "calibrated" display.

It doesn't sound right then.