[argyllcms] Re: More on instrument access

  • From: Frédéric Mantegazza <frederic.mantegazza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:01:09 +0100

On lundi 07 janvier 2008, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > As to whether or not Linux is difficult, I haven't found it to be.  In
> > most cases, everything just works.  And in cases where it doesn't
> > work, there is almost always enough information available to find a
> > solution.
>
> Compared to MSWindows and OS X, Linux is by far the hardest to use
> USB instruments with, because of the permission problems.

I agree, but I also think it is better to lock an unknown device from user
rather than let him do bad things. This is why Linux is much more secure.
But each davantage has its dark side ;o)

As you said, the big problem is the udev mecanism, far too complicated, or,
at least, its lack of a user friendly interface... If you browse the
Guilde archive (a french linux users group ml), you will how many times I
asked for udev related problems!

--
   Frédéric

   http://www.gbiloba.org