[argyllcms] Re: More on instrument access

  • From: "Frédéric Crozat" <fred@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:08:04 +0100

On Jan 7, 2008 3:51 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linux is third. You have to edit various configuration files, and I'm not
> even able to give a set of instructions on how to do this that is likely
> to work! (I hope to improve this, but it might be rather messy and
> a fair amount of work for me - I'm counting 10 distros that need
> testing to give reasonable coverage, and on past experience it will
> all be wrong again in 12 months time).

<Teasing>
With next Mandriva release, you will only need to install argyllcms
package and it will be working out of the box.
Of course, you will have to learn argyllcms CLI but that is another story.
</Teasing>

:)

> It's quite easy for me to comprehend why commercial software vendors
> do not like supporting Linux.

The big problem here is more hardware support (ie accessing the
colorimeter device) than software support.

My (and other GNOME hackers too) future goal is to try to get a
descent color support in GNOME. For now, I'm planning to be able to
set a calibration file (automatically applied at startup) and a color
profile, using XICC specification (since it is starting to be used in
many linux application).

--
Frederic Crozat