[argyllcms] Re: More on instrument access

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:13:29 -0600

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 15:37 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > As to whether or not Linux is difficult, I haven't found it to be.  In
> > most cases, everything just works.  And in cases where it doesn't work,
> > there is almost always enough information available to find a solution.
>
> Compared to MSWindows and OS X, Linux is by far the hardest to use
> USB instruments with, because of the permission problems.

But won't most users of those OSs just use the proprietary software
provided by the manufacturers of the devices?   I can see real
advantages to using the argyll programs even in those contexts, but I
suspect that is only because of my previous experience with Linux.

I hope you won't abandon Linux because, for people like me, argyll is
currently the only game in town.