[argyllcms] Re: More on instrument access

  • From: "Frédéric Crozat" <fred@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:38:44 +0100

On Jan 7, 2008 11:32 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frédéric Crozat wrote:
>
>  > Debian (and derivate) doesn't have this concept.
> > We are hoping this will be improving with
> > hal + consolekit + policykit but I guess it will take one or two years
> > to see them available across distros.
>
>  From the feedback so far, policykit doesn't seem to work so well (yet).

I think it is mostly because it is not merged in a lot of released
distribution (so far, only in Fedora 8) and it adds new concepts many
people are not familiar with.

> > Never heard of wifi bugs in OS X recently ? ;)
>
> Exploitation of (kernel) driver race bugs, nothing to do with
> plugging in a colorimeter (or like) USB device, that a user
> mode application could access.

The point is that you know there is a colorimeter plugged, but by
default, distribution don't know that. And libusb devices aren't that
common under Linux, if you except usb digital cameras (ie if a
distribution handle correctly usb digital cameras, it should handle
colorimeters fine).

--
Frederic Crozat