[arachne] Re: Backspace/History Hotkey Doesn't Work

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 06:58:22 +1030

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:51:57 +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:

>> If Alt-X and Alt-E are the same thing, the ways back into
>> Arachne should be interchangeable.
> No, they are not.  :)

Well, I know that, which is why I prefaced my statement with the
word "If". But trying to convince some people is sure an uphill
battle!

>> If they aren't interchangeable, then why aren't they?
> Because Alt-X   CLOSES  Arachne, and drops back to the DOS prompt.
> and:
> Because Alt-E   SHELLS out to a NEW DOS shell, over and above the
> original DOS shell - that is why "mem /c /p" will show two (2) instances
> of COMMAND.COM - one for each shell (one nested inside the other).

My question was rhetorical, in answer to a certain person's
assertion that Alt-E and Alt-X did the same thing.

I was hoping that person could explain why they weren't
interchangeable if (as he claims) they are indeed the same.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v