[arachne] Re: Backspace/History Hotkey Doesn't Work

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:51:57 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:10:22 +1030, Greg Mayman wrote:

>>  Your playing a game of symantics with
>> me concerning ALT-E and ALT-X. The fact is
>> that either command removes Arachne from
>> memory. If you doubt me, then try this
>> experiment.

> I don't doubt you.

>> 8. So in both cases a manually entered command
>> re-starts Arachne. In one case EXIT restarts her
>> and in the other case arachne restarts her.

> So try manually entering EXIT after you do an Alt-X.

> Or try manually entering ARACHNE.BAT after an Alt-E.

> If Alt-X and Alt-E are the same thing, the ways back into
> Arachne should be interchangeable.

    No, they are not.  :)

> If they aren't interchangeable, then why aren't they?

   Because Alt-X   CLOSES  Arachne, and drops back to the DOS prompt.

and:

   Because Alt-E   SHELLS out to a NEW DOS shell, over and above the
original DOS shell - that is why "mem /c /p" will show two (2) instances
of COMMAND.COM - one for each shell (one nested inside the other).

   The purpose of Alt-E is so that you can then run a DOS commandline
instruction or program and then return to the Arachne at the point you
left it.  Such as move something to/from the download directory, or
externally edit something you don't want to do from within Arachne, or
something similar.  I have used Alt-E to drop to DOS inorder to run
another small DOS internet function such as an external telnet, or lynx,
or even Wizz's ftp.

Regards,
        Ron

Ron Clarke