[amayausers] Re: Amaya XT vs other machines, your thought

  • From: "Cassandra Salmond" <caseyweim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:01:01 -0400

Hi Steve,

We are very new to the business also and we decided to purchase the Amaya
XT's.  They can work independently or as a group, very easy to use except
the WACF (get to that later), work as a peripheral machine much like a
printer, can use any graphics design program, hardly no maintenance and when
you do have to do maintenance step by step instructions with pictures!,
great support, in person and on the phone and the biggest thing was a local
tech person.

We purchased 4 - 16 needle machines with the WACF for each machine.  We set
the machines up ourselves so the tech wouldn't have to do much but train
us.  Because we bought 4 machines, we received on site set up and training
for a week.

My brother and I come from a computer background.  He currently owns and
operates a computer sales, service & accessory business.  He builds and
repairs computers.  He also is EXCELLENT with graphics software, builds
websites, and just knows the ins/outs of computer technology.  That is one
of the main reasons we went with the Melco and their Amaya XT's.  Each
machine has a motherboard and memory.  They are hooked up to a single PC
just like multiple printers, scanners, etc.  Once you send the job to the
Amaya, you can turn off the PC.  This isn't something the other embroidery
machines on the market can do.

I'll be honest, we did have quite a few machine problems during set up that
cut into our training time.  Melco has the machines working excellently and
is scheduling more training time for us in May.

Being completely new to this industry and sewing in general, we made some
assumptions that were .... wrong.  We purchased the Design Shop Pro +.  It's
suppose to be comparable to CorelDRAW, etc.   We found several bugs in it's
latest version and were and are extremely frustrated.  After several
conversations with other companies about the history of embroidery and it's
evolution, Melco has developed start of the art design software - Design
Shop Pro +.  The reason we've experienced the problems that we have is due
to us coming from the computer industry and using the start of the art
graphics programs available in the computer/technology industry and then
expecting Design Shop to perform like them.  Now that we understand the
evolution of embroidery graphics programs, we are working much better.  We
also can use the CorelDRAW, Adobe and other graphics products we're use to
and use them with Amaya.

You must have the Amaya OS to run the machines but as long as you have your
design in a format that Amaya can read (which is several) you may use any
graphics program.

We have not had any luck with the WACF.  It's almost impossible to get the
caps hooped correctly and then getting them to sew out ... well, I've gotten
one done!  It's a very frustrating and we have 100 hats to do.  I'm about
ready to throw in the towel on them.  One more try today and ...

As far as your concerns go, service problems & support are null & void.
They are excellent and timely; thread tension is the bomb! I doubt we'd be
up and running if we had to figure out what to set the thread tensions at or
fabric 'stuff'; plastic is better than metal - it's cheaper to replace,
easier to maintain and it's actually more durable than metal.  It's not
cheap construction by any means and you'll see this when your machine is
being set up.  As far as the Amaya being new to the market, it's technology
has been around and has a proven track record.

If you have any questions, feel free to call. ;o)

--
Thank you,

Cassandra Salmond
Hurricane Vinyl Graphics, Signs & Embroidery
2814 S. Bay Street
Eustis, FL 32726
T 352.357.7936
F 352.357.0381