[windows2000] Re: Announcing beta release of Windows Vista SP1!

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 04:16:36 -0700

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:54:23 +0200, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
came up with this:

> Charles R. Buchanan <> wrote on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:39 PM:
>
> You really need 2GB of RAM to make Vista happy and run at the (somewhat) same
> speed as XP?

It's basically the same with XP. I have a Plll that only have like 128mb
of ram, and XP crawls (as it should). Even on this machine, once I
upgraded to 2gb of ram, things really took off! :-) Like I said though,
for me, Vista seems a lot faster at somethings than XP. At least with my
experiences here.  Takes forever (it seems) for the networking to settle
down though. I think that's because of the extra security built in.
Under XP, when I boot up and you see the desktop, my AV program is
already connected and downloading the updated defs. Under Vista, it
usually says that there's a problem because it takes longer than the
program is set to connect. Which I haven't found any settings that
changes that.

> What kind of cpu (and other hw) do run your Vista on? Stationary or portable?

I have a AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (939 socket), 2bg ram, cd-burnner, dvd-rom
and dvd-burner. a 200 and 250gb WD Sata drives. Ati x1300 256mg Video
card. I use to have two 320gb WD Sata drives installed as well, but I
think the second controller on the MB is dying. :-(

If I have time today I'm buying this ASUS motherboard and will be
getting a 6000+ cpu to stick on it and I will start off at 2gb, but will
upgrade that to 4gb down the road. There should be a slight difference
in speed though! ;-)  Plus I will finally be able to run the drives at
300 instead of 150 because I will have a MB that supports the faster
SATA standard.

>  The only other
> Vista I've run was on a spanking brand new HP 6715s notebook I bought for one
> of the staff at the dept. It came with Vista Basic preinstalled and run off of
> an AMD Turion 3200+ or something like that and had 1G RAM. From first
> switching it on until I could logon and check it out, it took more than two
> hours... Well in, it felt really sluggish. I checked the overall index on it
> and it was 3, with about half of the checked things at 4. Assuming 5 is top
> notch I was rather dissapointed with Vista. It wasn't like the Basic-version
> runs a lot bling-bling, bells and whistles.

Actually, from what I heard, for some reason(s), people with HP's
(desktops included) that come with Vista already installed are having
some issues with the setup on it. So I wouldn't put the total blame on
Vista. You're right, the Basic version shouldn't take that long and
doesn't have all the stuff as Ultimate and Business and so forth.

> I nuked this Vista install and installed XP SP2 and sure enough it felt a lot
> more speedy, slick and smooth. Granted portables are almost always more
> sluggish than their stationary variants, but this much??

I think the biggest thing is that vendors have to play catchup and so
forth. As with the transistion from W2K to XP, it didn't happen
overnight. I have no intention (at this very second) of ever installing
W2K. At least not on this or future machines, but who knows? :-)  I
still have W2K AS so maybe I will install that on this machine to see
how it acts on this one. Since I have always had it on much slower
machines.

> We're not going Vista anytime soon... In best case scenario, not until 2011,
> or whenever XP isn't supported anymore.

For a lot of businesses, that is the norm because of cost concerns. I
have seen businesses that still have computers that are running Windows
98 no less! :-O  Anyway, I better get my tail out of here to work. Have
a great weekend!

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority,
but to escape finding one's self in the ranks of the insane."