[techtalk] Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer

  • From: Andrew Davidson <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:14:41 +0100

At 23:42 25/05/2004, you wrote:

>I've been considering a 7K250 for personal use for a while now as the
>benchmarks are mighty impressive, but I don't really think it'll be quiet
>enough for my purposes. The next couple of drives I buy will be going into
>my AmigaOne to replace the dodgy Fireball3 that's in there at the moment,
>and given that my A1 is basically silent the drives need to be seriously
>quiet.

The 7K250 drives are very quiet - unless you get one built before Feb 04,
when you get a "cat meow" or "creaking door" noise every 10 minutes as the
drive does a head sweep.  Every 24 hours they also do a full reset "whee
kerklunk whee".  Hitachi say they're deliberate seeks to increase
reliability (same as STIR on Seagate Cheetah drives). It would seem drives
post Feb 04 don't suffer this issue.  There's a big thread about it on
Storagereview.

Samsung still seem to have the edge on quiet drives, along with Seagate
although I'm not convinced on the elcheapo 7200.7.  Looks like they cut
corners big time on that drive.

Andrew